Last Updated: 8/11/2017
Information We Collect
“Personal Information” is information that identifies you as an individual or relates to an identifiable individual.
- For Instructors and Parents:
- Registration: The following Personal Information is collected from Instructors and Parents when they register for free a account: First Name, Last Name, Email.
- Additional Information: The following Personal Information can be optionally entered by Instructors and Parents after registration: Bio, Gender, Birthday, Phone, Address
- For Students:
- Registration: The following Personal Information is collected from Students when they register for free a account: First Name, Last Name, Email or Username, Birthday.
- Additional Information: The following Personal Information can be optionally entered by after registration: Bio, Gender, Birthday, Phone, Website
Schoology requires schools, districts, or teachers (on behalf of the parents or legal guardians of students under the age of 13) to provide consent for the online collection of personal information of the student under the age of 13 through Schoology. In order to register to use Schoology, students must use an access code provided to them by their teacher.
Schoology collects limited personal information from minor students only where that student’s school, district, or teacher has contracted with Schoology to collect personal information for the use and benefit of the learning environment. This information is not shared outside of the school or with any third parties except those needed for the provision of the service as outlined in this policy. Students of any age cannot share their profiles publicly outside of their classroom or school.
For the purpose of improving and enhancing its service, Schoology collects and analyzes data on how the apps are used in the aggregate (how groups of people use Schoology). As true of most Web Sites, we gather certain information automatically and store it in log files. This information may include internet protocol (IP) addresses, browser type, internet service provider (ISP), referring/exit pages, operating system, date/time stamp, and/or clickstream data. We also use tracking technologies from third party service providers (as described below) to gather information regarding the date and time of your visit and the information you interacted with. We may link this automatically-collected data to personally identifiable information. We do not share this information with third parties - for more information on third party service providers, see section below.
Information on individual usage of the system, including but not limited to individual IP addresses, may be analyzed on a case-specific basis to resolve a technical difficulty or to assist in resolving or investigating any misuse of the service; also, such individual usage information may be furnished to your school if your school requests such information to assist in the investigation of fraudulent, abusive, or criminal activity or any other use of Schoology that violates your school's rules or policies.
Cookies, Beacons, and other Similar Technologies: Technologies such as cookies, beacons, tags and scripts are used by Schoology and our tracking utility partners who provide online customer support and video management. These technologies are used to make it easier for you to navigate our site, to store your passwords so you don’t have to enter it more than once, analyzing trends, administering the site, tracking users’ movements throughout the site and to gather demographic information about our user base as a whole. We may receive reports based on the use of these technologies by these companies on an individual as well as aggregated basis.
Local Storage Objects: We use Local Storage Objects (LSOs) such as Flash to store content information and preferences. Third parties with whom we partner to provide certain features on our site or to display advertising for Schoology on other sites based upon your Web browsing activity use LSOs such as HTML5 or Flash to collect and store information. Various browsers may offer their own management tools for removing HTML5 LSOs. To manage Flash LSOs please click here: http://www.macromedia.com/support/documentation/en/flashplayer/help/settings_manager07.html
Third Party Service Providers
We work with a number of third party service providers to help improve the quality of our service. These third parties do not share your information with any other third parties.
- Schoology uses the following third party services on the App:
- Zendesk and Zopim Chat - Zendesk and Zopim Chat are platforms for our Support Team to provide private customer support communication to our users. Our support system is available for users of all ages to submit requests or questions to our team. These requests can be submitted using http://help.schoology.com or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Zendesk does not share user information with any other third parties.
- Foresee – Foresee is used to measure customer satisfaction through opt-in, in product surveys directed at users above the age of 13. Foresee does not share user information with any other third parties.
- Pendo - Pendo is an analytics service used to help analyze your use of our App and to improve it. We use the information we get from Pendo only to improve our App and our Services. Pendo does not share your information with any other third parties.
- Schoology uses the following third party services on the Main Domain.
- Google Analytics – Google Analytics is an analytics service used to help analyze your use of our Main Domain and allow us to improve communication. We use the information we get from Google Analytics only to improve our Main Domain. Google Analytics does not share your information with any other third parties.
- Marketo – Marketo is a marketing communications tool used to help analyze your use of our Main Domain and allow us to improve marketing communications directed at adults. Marketo is also used on other adult directed pages of the Main Domain to allow users to submit their contact information to Schoology in order to request more information about our services. Marketo does not share your information with any other third parties.
- AddThis – AddThis is used to facilitate social media sharing on our adult directed blog.
- Disqus – Disqus is used to facilitate commenting on our adult directed blog.
For more information on any of these third parties please contact us at: email@example.com
Review and Deletion of Your Child’s Information
Parents have the right to refuse the site further contact with their child and to have access to their child's information and to have it deleted by contacting the school administrator.
Parents have the right to consent to the site's use of the child's personal information without having to consent to its disclosure of that information to third parties by contacting the school administrator.
If yours or your child's personally identifiable information changes, or if you no longer desire our service, you may correct, update, or delete it by making the change on our member information page or by emailing our Customer Support at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will respond to your access request within 30 days.
We will retain your information for as long as your account is active or as needed to provide you services. If you wish to cancel your account or request that we no longer use your information to provide you services, contact us at email@example.com. We will retain and use your information as necessary to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, and enforce our agreements.
Internet Privacy & Security
We reserve the right to modify this privacy statement at any time, so please review it frequently. If we make material changes to how we use your personal information or personal information collected from children under age 13, we will notify you prior to the change becoming effective, by email, by means of notice on our home page, and parents by email in order to obtain verifiable parental consent for the new uses of the child's Personal Information if required.
We may disclose your or your child’s personally identifiable information in connection with business transfers and purchases. As we continue to develop our business we may buy or sell business divisions or companies, we may merge or combine with another company, or our company itself and/or all or a significant part of its assets may be acquired by another company. We may provide any information we have to a potential counter-party in any such potential transaction. If such a transaction is completed, your or your child’s personally identifiable information may be one of the transferred and shared business assets. In the event that information is shared in this manner, notice will be posted on our Site.
We may also share de-identified and/or aggregated data with others for their own uses.
We reserve the right to disclose your or your child's personally identifiable information as required by law and when we believe that disclosure is necessary to protect our rights and/or to comply with a judicial proceeding, court order, or legal process served on our Web site.
Links to Other Sites
If you click on a link to a third-party site, you will leave Schoology.com and be redirected to the site you selected. Because we cannot control the activities of third parties, we cannot accept responsibility for any use of your personally identifiable information by such third parties, and we cannot guarantee that they will adhere to the same privacy practices as Schoology.com. We encourage you to review the privacy statements of any other service provider from whom you request services. If you visit a third-party website that is linked to the Schoology.com site, you should read that site's privacy statement before providing any personally identifiable information.
2 Penn Plaza, 10th Floor
New York, NY 10121
Or Call Us at: 212-213-8333